Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Overcoming Fear!

Dear all,

Yesterday while my sister and I were walking our dogs, she asked me what time I got home Sunday night. I told her about 8:00, she then asked me if I had heard the gunshots. I told her no, and asked her what was going on, she told me there has been a peeping tom running around at night and someone took a shot to scare him off.
I had a hard time trying to go to sleep last night, partly because I didn't feel the greatest, and partly because my mind kept going to who might be lurking outside. I kept telling myself that God was taking care of me. In my heart I knew that He was, but I had to get the information into my mind in order to block out the other thoughts that wanted to take control. God does not give us the spirit of fear, that comes from the enemy.
Can you imagine what my thoughts were when I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed and the lights went out? What would your first thought have been? I thought no problem I have this huge flashlight right at the head of my bed, I would just get it and have light, I was also ready to pack up and go to my sister's. I asked the Lord to help me not be afraid. The lights came right back on, and then I remembered all the flashlights were still in my car from when I went to camp. So I got my dog, and we went out to the car to get flashlights. That was a real step of faith on my part, but hey with God and my dog, I felt safe.
I kept quoting the two scriptures and just had to keep my mind from entertaining thoughts that were not conducive with peace, I would not allow myself to entertain thoughts of fear. I did go to sleep, but it took awhile.
One of the things I would encourage you in is YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIVE IN FEAR! Give your fear to the Lord and have Him give you the courage to overcome it.

II Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.

Psalms 34:7
The Angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him [who revere and worship Him with awe] and each of them He delivers.

Take care and have a blessed day!
Joy

2 comments:

C. Marie Byars said...

Lots 'o' pink!!! (I had too much of it forced on me as a child---now it gives me the hives!!) To the point---interesting thoughts, but are you all doing some of your own Bible translating!!!

Joy said...

Marie,
Thank you for your comment.
I don't try to translate the Bible, however, I do give my opinion of what I feel God has given me in the way of understanding the scriptures I read.
God Bless!
Joy