Friday, March 16, 2007

My Heritage

This morning as I was doing my daily devotional to family, I began to think about my heritage.
Dad and mom had twelve children. Dad and mom were in the ministry part of the time I was growing up. Dad also worked some in the iron mines in Minnesota. From the time I was ten, dad wasn't able to do much because of an injured back.
Some of us was talking the other day, looking back on that time in our lives, we realized that we were probably beyond poor. However, we never felt that way. Why, because dad and mom had a unshakable faith in the God they served and loved with all their hearts. They taught us kids to have faith that God would supply our needs. He would take care of us. Maybe we didn't have the things to eat we wanted, going out to a restaurant was unheard of and even some of the basic foods were beyond our budget. At one time I can remember we ate boiled rabbit and boiled dandelion greens, or ferns as we didn't have any thing else. However, we had love and fun growing up. Daddy was a great storyteller, I can remember sitting at his feet many times while he told us stories.
We were RICH in a sharing, caring and loving family.
In thinking about what is going on in this country today, and about all the throw away kids or kids that only watch TV is really sad. Some kids have everything money can buy and still get into trouble; I think part of that is the parents buy them things to replace time spent with them which is really sad.
Yes when I look back on my childhood I was RICH. Maybe not in money, but in the areas of love, family, being taught spiritual things, and having a dad and mom who not only cared about us kids, but listened to us as well.
I am most blessed!
Psalms 108:1
O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.

No comments: