Thursday, January 17, 2008

Be Prepared!

Greetings,

It is a beautiful crisp morning here on the farm. I enjoy looking out my office window which faces east and wonder is this the morning Jesus will return on the clouds?

I went to church last night even though it was a chilly night and had the potential for slick roads on the way home. It seemed to be cool in the church, so I picked up a lap robe and put it over my legs. Yes I had an appropriate length skirt on. It was well below my knees ( I could hear some of you saying she should wear a longer skirt.) My pastor (Bro. Bristow) at different times has called on someone to preach at the last moment (he feels this gives them practice.)
Anyway I often wondered what I would do if he did that to me. Well last night I found out what I would do, because just when I got comfortable he called on me to come preach.

I thought I would be a nervous wreck, but you know I just walked up behind the pulpit and God dropped some scripture and words of encouragement into my heart that I felt he wanted me to share. It is so amazing to me how God is always there to help us and to use us (whether behind the pulpit) or just going about our daily walk he can use us to minister to others. I want you to know when I finished with what I felt the Lord wanted me to say I certainly was not cold.

II Timothy 2:15
Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth.

I realized last night the benefit of taking time to study the Word of God. You never know when you are going to need it. I'm not talking about just being ready to preach in church; but what about being able to reach out to your neighbor? Someone in a crises that you are put in there midst to help them. What about your family? There are many ways and opportunities to witness, sometimes without even saying a word.

I also realized there is a difference between reading the Word ( a few scriptures here or there) and really studying the Word. I don't want to face a test and come up short on knowing what to do. I believe God's Word handles any test we will ever face, the thing is we have to get into it to know where the answers are located.

Have a great day!
Joy

No comments: