Wednesday, January 2, 2008

How should we Pray?

I have been thinking a lot about prayer and how to pray and thought I would share some of them with you.
How should a person pray? Have you ever thought about how you pray? Do you just say "Lord help Joy" (for example) and then go on your way? Sometimes I feel that is what I do, but other times I spend time in deep prayer for someone. When someone asks you to pray for them, do you pray with them right then? Do you put if off and then forget about it? Do you pray God's will or pray what you think that person needs. Do you try to pray your will on their life and not God's? Do you kneel when you pray? Do you walk around with your eyes open. If you walk around with your eyes open, are you focused on your prayer or all the things that need done?
These are things I have been pondering so I can change the way I pray if God directs me to pray differently.

Psalms 5:3
In the morning You hear my voice, O Lord; in the morning I prepare [a prayer, a sacrifice] for You and watch and wait [for You to speak to my heart].

Another scripture talks about praying morning, noon, and night. So I guess praying anytime is the right time.

Can you pray through song or would that be praising?

Isaiah 61:1-2
1 THE SPIRIT of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed and qualified me to preach the Gospel of good tidings to the meek, the poor, and afflicted; He has sent me to bind up and heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the [physical and spiritual] captives and the opening of the prison and of the eyes to those who are bound,
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord [the year of His favor] and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn,
In talking with my sister, Fawnie, the other day we talked about verse 2 and we have decided to proclaim this year as the acceptable year of the Lord. To proclaim all the good things we want to have happen not only in ourselves, but in our families, and friends lives as well. But I think in order to do the first part you have to do the second part and that is to proclaim God's vengeance against the things that are not good. We also need to comfort each other.

No comments: